查看原文
其他

美剧最常说的10句俚语:看了第1个就想放飞自我

2017-04-17 朵朵 沪江英语

英大看美剧的时候,经常遇到这样的情况:剧中演员笑得可欢乐了,可我完全理解不了,天知道笑点在哪里...



英大一气之下,就去整理了美剧里最常用的俚语,这次先和大家分享10句。看看你认识几个~


1

 LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY

放飞自我

to let others see your uniqueness

让别人看到你的不同(放飞自我,张扬个性)


例: 

My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.

我的同事都很惊讶我在圣诞舞会上的表现——放飞自我,展示了霹雳舞。



2

GET OUT OF HAND

失控

when you lose control of things, they get out of hand

当你是对事情失去控制了,就叫失控


例:

The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.

当宾客们开始朝对方互扔瓶子时,这个派队就失去控制了。



3

GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT

理解,相信

to understand something

知道,了解


例:

I just can't get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.

我只是难以相信Joe已经离开我们这个事实罢了。



4

POUND THE PAVEMENT

徘徊街头找工作

to walk the streets looking for a job

穿梭街头找工作


例:

I'd been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.

我已经在街头徘徊数月了,终于在一家快餐店找到了一份工作。



5

PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT

出其不意

to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible

做看起来不可能的并且无法预料到的事情


例: 

I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.

我本来以为我们要破产了,但是,我的合伙人出乎意料的完成了不可能的是事情,我们签了一个大合同。



6

STEP UP YOUR GAME

迎头赶上

to start performing better

开始表现的更好


例:

If you want to win this competition, you'll have to step up your game.

如果你想要赢得这场比赛,你得加把劲了。



7

SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT

要么好好干,要么走人

either start performing better or leave

表现好一些,否则离开


例:

This is the last time I'm telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.

这是我最后一次警告你准时到达。你要么好好干,要么走人!



8

BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH

勉强做成某事

When you do something by the skin of your teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail

你刚好一点点成功了/你差一点点就失败了


例:

I hadn't studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.

我没有学很多,但是我低分飘过考试。



9

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON

千载难逢

when something rarely ever happens

指某事几乎不发生


例:

We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue moon.

我们过去常常看见他,不过,现在他几乎不来找我们了。



10

PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER

恢复镇静

to calm down and behave normally

平静下来,表现正常


例:

I understand you've had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?

我知道你今天过得挺糟糕的,但是你得平静下来,继续你得工作,可以吗?



 


上面这些俚语都学会了吗?是不是又要一个人默默的练习了...


如何一个人练好口语?


英大组了个口语学习群主题是英美剧和电影,大家一起练口语!有兴趣的小伙伴可以加入,仅限100人


长按二维码识别,马上加入

仅限100名

此二维码在4月24日之前有效



编辑:芒果

本文图片来源网络

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存